Grant House is home to the office of the consul general. Grant House is named in honor of Dr. Asahel Grant (1807-1844) and Judith Campbell Grant (1814-1839). Pastors, healers and scholars, the Grants sailed from Boston harbor in May 1835 and became the first Americans into what is now Dohuk province, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Through their work, they befriended people of all faiths and all cultures in the lands between Mosul, Urmiah and Hakkari. Laid to eternal rest in St. Thomas Church in Mosul, beside their two infant daughters, the Grants left a living legacy: the American nation’s friendship to the people of this land.
"Fever & Thirst: Dr. Grant and the Christian Tribes of Kurdistan" By Gordon Taylor